Thursday, April 1, 2010

Adolescents are funny - no foolin'

I am not a huge fan of April's Fool Day but I have done my fair share of pranks over the years.  I can remember doing things to friends' lockers in high school and trying to sell my favorite teachers on a tall tale or two.  This morning while I was listening to WKLH, my favorite radio station out of Milwaukee,  I heard one of the best stories about getting pranked that happened to a father just a few hours earlier.  The prankster...his 14 year old daughter.  She had successfully completed her mission when her father awoke to string tied on his bedroom door "locking" him into his bedroom.  After squeezing his hand though enough to free the door knob, he entered into the bathroom where his daughter covered the toilet with saran wrap clear enough that her father did not notice and made a puddle on the floor.  Then down in the kitchen the father walked into a room criss-crossed with fishing wire.  He commented, "I could have cut my head off."  Finally, after preparing to leave for work, he walked out the door and opened the garage to find his teenage daughter and her friend sitting in the driveway.  In his amazement he asked why they were not on the bus.  The clever girl had changed all the clocks in the house.
The radio DJs immediately asked if he was or is mad at her.  The father answered, "How could you get mad...she got me and she got me good.  My mother and I are planning on getting her back some how today." 
His 14 year old daughter is at a great stage of brain development where humor is becoming more subtle and complex.  When children are young, the clearly stated knock-knock jokes or funny body movements are the basis of their humor.  They need simple words, goofing things they can participate in and nothing requiring complex thought.  As adolescents develop their jokes and sense of humor they expand their ability to "get" the higher level thinking needed for some jokes and situations.  Moreover they begin the ability to laugh at themselves, even though you may never see it for fear that they would be embarrassed.  These abilities are attributed to the development of the prefrontal cortex, the front part of the brain responsible for reasoning, executive functioning and decision making.  Research also points to the cerebellum, at the back of the brain, to have a role in "adult humor." 
So HURRAY to the clever daughter for having the planning skills to pull everything off and the insight to know what her father would find funny.  The question is if she has the forethought to see that Dad is planning his revenge.

No comments: